Your Company Logo Here

Office 718.436.3396
Fax 718.436.4138

Services We Provide

Non Payment Action (Residential and Commercial Properties)

A landlord can begin a non-payment action against a tenant to collect owed rent. The objective of a non-payment case is for the landlord to obtain payment or repossess the property. Under law, “self-help eviction” is prohibited, and a landlord must take proper legal measures in commencing his case against the tenant.

The following are some steps related to a non-payment action:

-The case is initiated by on official rent demand (known as a 5 day notice) which must often be done in writing pursuant to a written lease. Our team will review your lease and prepare the demand notice. The notice will be served by our licensed process server.

-Assuming the rent remains unpaid subsequent to the tenant receiving the rent demand, Law Offices of Stuart Jacobs will serve a Notice of Petition (dispossess notice) in the housing court, which begins the case in the Civil Court against the tenant.

-Upon receipt of the dispossess notice the court will assign an index# to reference your case.

-The court will set a date for the suit once it receives a response from the tenant to show cause of non-payment.

-Assuming the case cannot be settled, the case must go to trial. The Law offices of Stuart Jacobs have decades of trial experience dealing with the complexities and intricacies of the New York City Civil Court System.

The attorneys and staff at the Law offices of Stuart Jacobs have decades of knowledge, understanding and experience to provide the utmost due diligence for our clients in assuring that every step of your non-payment case is properly conducted resulting in the best possible outcome.

Please contact us to schedule an appointment.

Holdover Proceedings resulting in Possession

The nature of a Holdover case begins with a landlords attempt to evict a tenant (commercial or residential) on grounds other than non-payment of rent (see above).

These cases seek a Court Order for a tenant’s eviction and can be complex to achieve within the New York City Court system. Common grounds for holdover cases are expiration of lease, illegal activities and other various violations of lease, illegal subletting, and non-primary residence.

A Holdover case is commenced by a landlord serving predicate notices to the tenant. Our staff will study your case and prepare the predicate notices to be served by our licensed process server.

A landlord attains the right to file a petition (notice of petition) in the Housing Court to begin the case in Civil Court, if the tenant still has not surrendered possession.

Upon receiving a court date, Our attorneys with their years of knowledge and experience will represent you in the proceeding with the utmost professionalism and assertiveness.

Assuming a settlement cannot be reached, our clients will remain in good hands with the trial experience at the Law offices of Stuart Jacobs.

Please contact us to schedule an appointment to discuss your case.


A properly constructed written lease is often instrumental to a solid landlord-tenant relationship. The Law offices of Stuart Jacobs has years of experience in drafting and reviewing leases. Often, disputes will arise regarding the interpretation of lease clauses and/or the issues of tenant violations of their tenancy obligations. Please contact us to schedule an appointment to discuss your case.

Residential Closings

The Law offices of Stuart Jacobs have experience in representing both purchasers and sellers of real property throughout New York City and its surrounding counties. Our attorneys will provide guidance and representation throughout the process of the performance of the closing of contract commencing with the initial contract negotiations and ultimately resulting in the closing. Our staff is prepared to represent closings ranging from single-family homes to multi-family dwellings. If you would like to inquire about your real estate transaction, please contact us.